Ample free parking is provided at the rear of or opposite to the Three Crowns
Under new management for 2019 David and the team welcome you to the Three Crowns.
The name represents the Magi who brought Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh to the infant Christ. Their remains (they were priests rather than kings) were eventually laid to rest in Cologne cathedral, now in modern day Germany. Cologne adopted the three crowns as its city arms in their honour and the sign began to appear in England with traders in linen from Cologne. The Three Crowns Inn is approximately 1,000 feet above sea level and stands roughly half way between Chester and York. It was once an overnight stop for prisoners travelling to and from the Assizes. It was converted from a row of weavers cottages around the end of the 18th century and the first landlord was David Lees in 1794. With the Act of Union 1801, Ireland was joined with England and Scotland to form the United Kingdom and popular theory has it that the later representations of the Three Crowns is based on this event. The last private landlord, prior to the inn being purchased by Wilsons brewery, was James Kershaw at the end of the 19th century. Up until that time beer had been brewed on the premises but after acquisition by the brewery, deliveries came by horse drawn dray up until the start of the First World War in 1914.